Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I'm still here...

No I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I guess I was just kind of taking a break. The last month or so has been interesting. I haven't gained since my last post. I am actually back down to my second to last weigh in on my last competition (which is actually right where I want to be).

Setting a weight loss goal is an interesting thing. I set a goal in the beginning to get down to 150 and then not go above 155 (at least I think those were the numbers). Then I kind of blew that goal out of the water and at one point went down to 131. I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. I set a goal, I accomplished it, now what? I don't necessarily want to lose more so what is the point in watching every calorie I put into my mouth. But I definitely don't want to gain it back so I need to do something.

I guess that is the "problem" with setting a goal. I have always viewed goals as a sort of finish line. But it seems like, with weight loss, there really isn't a "finish line." Yes, I got down to (actually below) my original goal, but if I mentally tell myself that I am "done" it will all come right back.

At the beginning of this journey, I told myself that by doing it right, I would learn how to eat and how to work out so I would know how to keep the weight off. I am so glad I lost the weight the way I did. I have gotten off course a couple of times. But I knew how to get back on course. And over the year that I have been doing this, getting back on track has become easier.

But now comes the hard part. I need to find a lifestyle that isn't focused and obsessed with losing but on living. My hubby still has some weight he wants to lose so I made a deal with him. He has to lose weight or maintain his weight every week until the end of June. I have to keep my weight at or below 136.6 (my second to last weigh in). I am going to play a bit with that number. I think I would like to get it down to 135 just so it is a nice round number but right now, I'm going to stick with 136.6 and focus more on healthy living.

No comments: