Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 2

I had every intention of sitting and doing a detailed post of every thing I have learned in the past 24 hours but in reality, it's a lot! And for some reason, I just really don't feel like posting. So I'm going to keep it a little more basic and short for now.

I wasn't quite as tired or hungry today. I tried some almonds today and I was shocked and how filling they actually were. Right now, my learning is focused on good vs bad fats and oils and what a difference they can make. Well, that and finding a variety of foods that I can eat so I don't find myself in an eating rut with the same old foods!

Part of my problem could be my attitude. I actually am kind of liking this way of eating and realizing that it really isn't as hard or weird as I thought it would be. It is definitely different and has a learning curve to it but not as horrible as I anticipated. So I sat down with hubby last night just to see what his reaction would be to joining me. It wasn't good. So I kind of got the excitement knocked out of me. This is definitely not something I can see doing alone while the other 6 members of my family eat the same old way!

He is very skeptical that this is just another diet craze. I tried to explain to him that I'm really not following any sort of prescribed diet plan. I'm just trying to stick with foods that don't have all the additives and preservatives in them. I brought up the possibility of eating organic (to avoid the pesticides and such) and he really went off on that one! He is convinced that is just a marketing scheme and there is no difference between organic and regular produce. I'm not sure I really buy into the whole organic thing myself, but I am really convinced there is something to not eating all the additives and preservatives. I guess we'll have to give it time and see what happens.

Would I ever go completely organic, whole, fresh everything? At this point, I would say no. I think even greatly reducing the additives is a great start.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Getting the hubby on board is not easy. My husband is not either. It can make life "interesting" sometimes lol. The more I looked into the organic thing, the more convinced I became. I now try to eat the majority of my fruits and veggies organic (from the farmer's market. I buy a few things from the grocery store too, but if it's not in season right now at the fm I try and steer clear. Everybody has their own threshold of what feels right for them and how much "effort" they want to put into it. I figure I'm doing an okay job right now. I could probably do more, but I'm okay with the level I'm at for now.
P.S.- Almonds are my FAVORITE!!! Pistachios are next in line but the sodium is high.
P.S.S.- You're doing great!