Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pre Day 1

Here I am blogging twice in one day! I wanted to document all of this so I can go back and look over it. So bear with me!

I planned out my eating for Day 1...and found that I was seriously lacking in several key nutrients! I'm thinking as I learn more, I will be able to get what I need from the foods I am eating, but for now, I am going to have to supplement with vitamins. I'm struggling with that because it kind of defeats the point (or at least my point) of getting all the nutrients I need by eating the right kinds of foods. And as I look through the ingredient list on the vitamins, there are a lot of weird things on there! Honestly, I think one of my biggest problems is that I DO NOT do seafood! And that is where all the nutrients are that I am missing! UGH!

Which actually brings me to my next "issue". I mentioned before I would only be eating single ingredient foods. I did modify that a bit to eating only foods that have "normal" ingredients listed on the can/box. For example, I am using Minute Maid orange juice (in a box) but the only ingredients are orange juice from concentrate and water. I'm not sure about some listings. Like on black beans, all of the ingredients are whole foods but one of them is "prepared black beans." What exactly does that mean? And some other foods say "natural flavors". Again, what does that mean? I'll have to make some decisions....

My supplements definitely break all the rules in the "normal" ingredient requirement! I am going to make a trip to the store to see what single ingredient vitamins are made up of....

Update to come! Here's to healthy eating!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I would try looking for "Whole food" vitamins at a health food store. Don't go for cheapy, but don't go with super expensive either. Jillian recommends a quality multi even if you're eating well. It is difficult to decide how far you want to take it with your foods too. I would say if it has less than 5 ingredients and you can pronounce all of them, you're probably okay. That's just been my philosophy in the past.
As for beans...
hummus is always a good use. Just soak whatever type (you can make hummus with other beans besides chickpeas, my mil loves black bean hummus), throw in some garlic, olive oil salt and pepper. You can even use sundried tomatoes to kick it up a notch. or horseradish. Chili is really good to use beans. Add them to soups. make as a side for dinner. As long as you've soaked them overnight you can do pretty much anything with them! If you wanted to get super ambitious you could sprout them, I haven't tried this...yet. There are directions online.
Happy day 1! You're gonna do great!