Thursday, November 26, 2009

My First 5K

Today I completed my first official 5K! Notice I said "completed." I very intentionally did not say "ran." I am a humongous wimp when it comes to running. I get so frustrated because my legs would totally go a lot harder and faster but I get completely winded!

I didn't train at all for this so I am thinking maybe I need to start doing a little running and see how I do on another one. But I don't have a treadmill (not that I think those are overly effective anyway) and my hubby is gone at work for all of the hours of the day that have daylight. I am scared to death to run by myself in the dark and have at least three kids at home all day. I need to figure something out because I think it would be cool to actually compete not just complete!

My time was 40:01. Not good, but I am glad I did it. My goal was actually to come in under 45:00 because I know what huge wimp I am when it comes to running and I actually beat that by 5 minutes! I also didn't want to come in last. That was my biggest fear! But it was a very casual 5K so there were a lot of walkers. There was a big pack of people up front, a big pack in the back, and stragglers all through the middle. I was towards the rear of the middle stragglers.

Any suggestions for training for running in my situation would be very welcomed!!

1 comment:

Angie said...

you should look up the site from couch to 5k. It gives you running assignments for each day. I am sure you could do them with a stroller? Good job for even attempting it!