Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 6

I did good yesterday! I only ate 27 points! Usually, I look around trying to find something to "fill" my points but yesterday I didn't! I was talking to my husband last night. A commercial came on for Slimfast. It talked about how it keeps you from being hungry. We both just kind of laughed.

Hunger is not my problem. I don't eat because I am hungry. I eat because I like the taste of food. I usually am not hungry when I eat. I just want something in my mouth. I know, try gum, mints, etc. Those actually do make me feel hungry. So, I put something in my mouth to keep me from eating, and then I end up feeling hungry which increases my likelihood to eat! Maybe that trick works for some, but not so well for me!

Right now, my boys are eating graham crackers and milk. That is one of my FAVORITE snacks! I must resist! I ate a yogurt so I would be "eating" but not getting nearly the calories but...

I worked out this morning. It was "strength and sculpt" day. I still suck at it but I did a little better than last time. My biggest problem is the crunches. I can do the rest of it (at the lowest level anyway) but I totally suck at crunches. Having five babies in seven years with no attempt at regaining those muscles has really taken it's toll. I do have an Ab Lounge but I am waiting on my husband to fix it and maybe that will help. I can hope anyway.

This whole thing definitely is a lot easier with external motivation. When I was completely on my own with just "desire" as my motivation, nothing worked. In fact, I gained weight. But knowing that I could win money has its perks. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that I challenged my husband and I am very competitive. It will be great to kick his butt at SOMETHING! He gets to weigh in every week though and see his progress. Because we live so far from his work and I have to bring four small children with me, I only get to weigh in monthly. I think that has it's advantages and disadvantages.

I am hoping that getting into shape will give me more energy so I can get more done around the house. But another quote I like comes to mind - "Cleaning the house while children still live there is like trying to shovel snow while it is still snowing." SO TRUE! I also feel like I use my "cleaning" time to exercise. How do I do it all?

I hate how expensive eating healthier is! I would love to stock my pantry with low calorie snacks, fruit and juice drinks, soups, etc. but it is so expensive! My husband likes his Smart Ones desserts and Lean Cuisine meals and he actually does use the Slimfast shakes. By the time I buy all that, my budget is pretty much cleaned out and I still have to buy food for the rest of us, diapers, formula, blah, blah, blah...

Okay, enough whining for now. I've got kids to attend to...You'd think I'd lose weight just chasing them around all day...

1 comment:

Angie said...

I am excited for you and thanks for letting me see this that means alot! I know what you mean about eating healthy its very expensive! I have tried to just tweek my original recipes with lower fat ingredients. That works really good cause I can still eat the good recipes but they are better for me. The other thing that helps me is to have a drawer of "treats". I go to sam's and get those big boxes of the rice cake minis or 100 calorie bags and when i am craving a treat I take one out and eat it in another room. If I am in the kitchen eating it I will eat all of them. Distraction is the key to not overeating. Good luck this week!