Thursday, August 6, 2009

Diet mistakes #1

The other day, I got a slide show with an email that had some good diet tips. It was from WebMD but I deleted the email so now I can't link directly to the slide show. I did copy the tips though to have on my hard drive so I will share them on here. If I find the link, I will post it as well.

#1 Relying on Crash Diets

Determined to lose 10 pounds fast, you turn to a crash diet. Perhaps your plan calls for nothing but grapefruit or cabbage soup each day. You slash your daily calories to fewer than 1,000 -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and gains weight more quickly -- than ever before.

I think I have already made my position clear on this one! I really found it interesting though how it said that you slow your metabolism down. I couldn't ever figure out why the crash diets had that effect. I figured it was more just eating bad when you stopped but a slower metabolism makes a lot of sense!

No comments: